Vacation Home Rentals, Cabins & Cottages
Discover Vancouver Island's diverse array home, cabin & cottage rentals.
Looking for a home to rent on the beach? Perhaps you'd like to snuggle up to the fireplace somewhere deep in the rainforest during the storm season. Or maybe you're more suited to a condo or a secondary suite off someone's private residence. All of these options and more exist on Vancouver Island, where vacation homes, cabins condos has become an industry within itself.
We've broken down the different rental options below for this type of independent nightly rental. Remember that these types of rentals are usually distinctly different than Bed and Breakfasts, in that they do not offer food service and the proprietor does not usually live on site.
Vacation Home Rentals
- Families or individuals may own second (or third) homes that lie dormant for much of the year. If these vacant homes are in popular destinations, it has become common to rent the place out on a nightly or weekly basis to travellers who would like the convenience and privacy of living temporarily in a private home.
- These types of accommodation are usually best suited to larger families or groups that need more than one bedroom and a large kitchen to prepare meals.
- It is common for these home rentals to be managed by a sole property manager or a vacation rental company that manages multiple properties.
Small Cabins & Cottages
- Similar to vacation homes, cabins or cottages may be split into a category of their own because of their small size.
- It is common for one property to have a cottage or cabin adjacent to the owner's home.
- Hotels and resorts sometimes have clusters of cabins on the resort property. This type of accommodation may be the best of both worlds for some travellers, taking advantage of the hotel's conveniences but maintaining the privacy of an independent cottage.
Condos & Secondary Suites
- This type of lodging is generally cost effective for the reasons listed below. You might find a great deal...
- Expect smaller units, starting around 200 sq. ft. But small is not always the rule here, larger suites and condos may be upwards of 2000 sq. ft. If the website doesn't specify size, it's best to ask.
- This type of accommodation is usually adjacent to another inhabited building. Make sure you know about noise constraints if you are planning a function.